Sunday, January 2, 2011

Retirement, then what?

If you are of the  baby-boomer generation, you almost certainly remember the line from the Beatles song: "...when I'm 64."    After 30 years at one of the U.S. national labs, I retired with my last regular workday on my 64th birthday!  What next?  I have no "grandchildren on my knee," so I don't have enormous family constraints.  What about cooking school?  Say what?  It's not like I've been crazy about cooking all my life; but over the last few years, I've found that I really enjoy planning a good meal, trying a new recipe, and doing the actual preparation (not to mention the eating, when things turn out as anticipated).  And Charlene, my wife of almost 42 years, now prefers to do other things, which gives me full reign of the kitchen.  So, if I'm going to do the cooking, I want to learn to do it well.

How did I come up with the Ballymaloe Cookery School in Shanagarry, County Cork, Ireland?  The honest truth is that I stumbled on it during web surfing and I wasn't even looking for a cooking school.  Their website germinated an idea that grew.  The school seems to fit me so well that I quickly gave up looking at other programs.  Their 12-week certificate course is a serious program, but it's not so long and drawn out as to be suitable only to young people beginning a culinary career.  I'll get a good foundation and, hopefully, enough expertise and confidence to spark real culinary creativity.  And, if I'm any good, it may actually lead to some interesting work in retirement.  To top that all off, the school is in Ireland, near the coast!  Some would question Ireland in winter, but after two vacations to the island, I know I will mostly like it.  Others would question Ireland's culinary tradition.  True, 30 years ago things were bleak.  But like Ireland's economic changes, the food has gone through a revolution that Ballymaloe helped lead.  On our trips there, we've really enjoyed Irish pubs and restaurants.

Since I leave in about a week, I'm in the middle of prep.  Got my new knives.  Engraved my initials on them myself, rather than pay the $15 each that a local jeweler wanted.  Got my chef's outfits.  I've started to prepare the list of things I'll take.  In addition to the airline limitations and choosing to take golf clubs, my single room in a cottage at the school is likely to be very small.  But, I don't need to overwork this.  After all, they do have stores in Ireland.  It's a little harder getting everything set up for Charlene, for the time I'm gone.  But, phones and e-mail do work between the U.S. and Ireland.  The school has wi-fi in at least one location, but I still worry about compatability.  Setting up a reasonably priced phone before I leave isn't practical (some change in Irish rules, I understand), but I'm hoping to get one shortly after I arrive.  Unfortunately, one of their largest phone companies, Vodafone, didn't respond to my e-mail inquiry.  More anxiety! 

Turns out that setting up a reasonably priced, 3-month car rental is a pain.  It has to do with the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW).  Because of Irish laws and/or practices, most credit card coverages do not apply.  I found one that does, but I had to get a letter from the bank stating such.  It was that or pay $15/day for CDW for a rental that otherwise averages less than $10/day.  Ridiculous!  I'm still anxious about what will happen at the rental counter, but I think I'm as prepared as I can be.

Assuming I can get my computer working quickly, I expect my next blog will be posted after I arrive in Shanagarry.  Here's hoping the travel goes as planned.  Since I'm flying through Chicago in winter (what ever possessed me), I have another source of anxiety.  What, me worry?

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Tom I love the idea of this blog, I was starting to wonder how we would get to hear all of your stories and progress. Can't wait to read more. So happy for you that you're taking part in such a unique experience. Love,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom:
    I'm looking forward to your first new meal when I visit you this summer. I'm used to your cooking but now I'll be looking for something unusual.

    Aunt Anne

    ReplyDelete