Sunday, March 6, 2011

Country Roads

Although I have more time to enjoy my Irish experience, I also can't help but look forward to a short vacation in Ireland with Charlene after the course and my return to New Mexico.  In the meantime, I'll suffer through walks on the beach; green, green countryside; a few rounds of golf; incredible cooking experience, and an occasional party.  Parties at age 64?  Yup.  Because we don't cook on Wednesday, my female cottage mates invited several people over for snacks and drinks Tuesday night.  I was told after it was all set that the reason was to provide more male conversation in the cottage for me (really?).  In any case, a good time was had by all and for some it may have been a little too good.  In the true Irish tradition, Stephen belted out some traditional Irish tunes and pushed me to sing, which is less intimidating after several glasses of wine.  I sang "Country Roads" that uses the repine "country roads take me home," and another John Denver song that starts out "Lost and alone on some forgotten highway."  Seems to be a theme here.  A couple of people were MIA the next morning, but yours truly made it to lectures with only the slightest of disorientation (at my age there are multiple potential causes).  Thank goodness I had already learned to not try to keep up with the Irish on some things.

I'm here for the cooking and I'm evidently very focused and intense in the kitchens.  Bryony took shots of me during one of the sessions.  Here I'm working on ice cream next to my partner this week, Paul, who is a really great guy who is also an expert at sarcasm.
I'm looking for something in the weigh-up area, which also serves at the larder for kitchen #3.
Contrary to my facial expressions, the cooking this week was mostly fun.  On Monday, I made potage a la bonne femme (leek and potato soup), which I served hot, but which also can form the basis for a cold Vichysoisse.  I also cooked glazed carrots, which I didn't burn like I did earlier (week 2?), and frites (French fries) and Buffalo chips (big fries).  For the soup, I made croutons following Rory O'Connell's approach -- hot pan, clarified butter (butter where the fats have been separated, so burning potential reduced), lots of arm motion, and lots of time -- but they do taste really good this way.  On Tuesday, I made cannelloni including homemade pasta.  I had been dreading the pasta, but it was easy because my dough was dry enough.  Since we share pasta machines (lots of rollers and a crank, but no motor), the pasta took most of the morning and my only other contribution was a berry sauce for a panna cotta that Paul made.  Thursday was hectic, because a Grand Marnier souffle took loads of time.  I also did mussels with a coconut milk and coriander sauce and some wilted greens.  Everything was delicious.  One of the other instructors kept coming over to sample more of my souffle, which was incredibly light (probably because of mistake I made, but that's a secret). 

Friday was a busy end to a busy but satisfying week.  For the caramel ice cream (see picture above), I made a caramel sauce and brandy snap baskets.  Here I am cutting apart the disks for the baskets.  When they cooled off just the right amount, I molded them around upside-down glasses.
Less time consuming but much more satisfying was char grilled squid with chilli and parsley oil.  Here Gillian (pronounced "Jillian") tells me how the balance of the ingredients is the key to the sauce, while I adjust my cap -- gets hot in those kitchens.  Yea, I know; some of you men are thinking that Gillian is "hot."  I made the mistake of mentioning to Paul that she has the great high cheekbones of an eastern European and his jokes with me just keep coming.

I must have listened well, because the sauce made a tough squid (too big and old) taste really good.  I finished off the week with rustic potatoes with rosemary.  I seem to have learned how to fry things, because the pototoes were crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside (Gillian's opinion).  Exhausting but satisfying end to a busy week.

In order to drive these country roads you  need a decent car and a nice woman at Avis worked with me so that I can keep driving the Ford Fiesta I've been renting.  She also let me in on a secret -- even though they won't give a reservation for more than 30 days, you can push it to 35 days without creating a problem.  So, I'll keep this car for the rest of the trip.  Thank you Avis!  I'm glad that Ford will be selling the Fiesta in the States again; it's a really nice little car.

Today I played 18 holes at a crazy course in Youghal (pronounced "you all" with a southern accent).  Fortunately, I was paired with two women who knew the course, because all the criss-crossing and cross-country walking would have been impossible by myself.  Despite drizzle some of the time and cold temperatures (mid 40s, I'd guess), I enjoyed myself.  After the round and some conversation with the ladies, it became clear that they would have quit, but they knew I wouldn't make it around on my own.  I feel guilty, but I'll get over it.

One last picture from the gardens at Ballymaloe Cookery School.





No comments:

Post a Comment